- 1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tbs ground cumin
- 450g firm tofu
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ bunch continental parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 3 medium red onions, finely sliced
- ½ tbs brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 280g bag Woolworths baby spinach leaves
- 16 sheets filo pastry
1. Preheat oven to 200°c and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Put pumpkin, 1 tbs oil and cumin in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread on prepared trays and season. Bake for 30 minutes or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, put tofu, lemon juice, salt, parsley and basil in a food processor and process until just combined. Set aside.
4. Heat 1 tbs oil in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add sugar and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for a further 5 minutes or until caramelised.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs oil in a second medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until just golden. Add half the spinach and toss for 1 minute or until just wilted. Set aside and repeat with remaining spinach. Set aside.
6. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with olive oil. Lightly flour benchtop. Remove a filo sheet, keeping remaining sheets covered, and lay it flat on the bench. Starting at the edges, lightly brush the entire sheet with some of the remaining oil. Remove a second sheet and lay it over the first, then brush again. Repeat with a third sheet, then place stack into cake tin, allowing the excess to drape over the sides. Repeat with another three sheets of filo and arrange in tin perpendicular to the first set, draping over the sides.
7. Layer 1/3 of the pumpkin, 1/2 of the tofu mixture, 1/2 of the onion and 1/2 of the spinach into prepared tin. Repeat with another layer of six pastry sheets, 1/3 of the pumpkin, and remaining tofu mixture, onion and spinach. Put remaining pumpkin on top and fold over excess pastry to enclose. Brush remaining filo sheets with remaining oil, then scrunch and place on top.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Allow to cool slightly, then remove from tin. Cut into slices and garnish with basil leaves to serve.
tip: to make this recipe gluten free, leave out the filo pastry and layer all ingredients directly into a greased baking dish, then top with 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese.
You can read Full Here: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipedetail/8210/pumpkin-spinach-and-herbed-dairy-free-ricotta-pie